How Do I Record Petty Cash Transactions?
Petty Cash rules may vary with different filing agencies. If you are unsure, please contact your analyst or legal representative.
To start, create a new Financial Account under the Lists tab and be sure to select Petty Cash as the Type. You will be using this when creating Petty Cash transactions.
How do I record a petty cash withdrawal?
- Under the Accounting tab, select Add Transaction, then choose Internal Transfer
- Select your Petty Cash account as the To Account
- Select the appropriate account as the From Account, which is typically the account which you withdrew the cash from
This will not impact your total Cash on Hand amount and will not be reported on most Campaign Finance Reports.
How do I record a petty cash disbursement?
- Under the Accounting tab, select Add Transaction, then choose Expense
- In the Entity field, use the individual vendor the petty cash was spent at
- Use Petty Cash as the account, if appropriate, to help keep track of available funds
This will impact your total Cash on Hand and depending on the amount and/or agency rules, could possibly itemize on reports.