The Form 1, or Statement of Organization, is used to register a new campaign committee with the FEC. This must happen once the campaign exceeds the applicable contribution threshold.
When do I need to file a Form 1?
– Principal campaign committees must file this form no later than 10 days after the candidate files the FEC Form 2. Committees sponsored by corporations, labor organizations, or trade associations (i.e. separate segregated funds) must file this form no later than 10 days after their establishment.
– Local political party committees must file this form no later than 10 days after exceeding contributions or making expenses aggregating in excess of $5000 during a calendar year -OR- making contributions in connection with a federal election in excess of $1000.
– All other political committees must file this form no later than 10 days after receiving contributions or making contributions in connection with a federal election aggregating in excess of $1000 during a calendar year.
How do I generate a Form 1?
1) Navigate to Reports, then to Compliance
2) If you have multiple filers, select the Filer from the dropdown, then choose FEC Form 1 in Compliance Report
3) If needed, you can specify if this report is an amendment for a change of address, change of email, change of name, or change of URL
4) Fill in the date these changes are going into effect, along with selecting a Filer Description from the drop-down list
5) Click the Generate button at the bottom of the page to generate your FEC Form 1
The report will contain important pieces of information regarding the committee, including Candidate, Treasurer, and Bank or Depository names.
In Section 6, the Form 1 lists any connected organization, affiliated committee, joint fundraising representative, or leadership PAC sponsor. In order to get the correct option checked, use the following data entry in the Relationship section of the committee’s record in the database:
Relationship: Parent Company (see note below on Connected Organization and Parent Company)
Relationship: Affiliate OR Authorized Committee OR Authorized Committee Of
Joint Fundraising Representative
Relationship: Joint Fundraising Representative
Leadership PAC Sponsor
Relationship: Leadership PAC Sponsor
Please note that per the FEC Form 1 guidelines, the term Connected Organization means any organization which is not a political committee but which directly or indirectly establishes, administers, or financially supports a political committee. A connected organization may be a corporation (including a corporation without capital stock), a labor organization, a membership organization, a cooperative, or a trade association. Therefore, a Connected Organization will be considered a Parent Company.
Section 9 requires you to list the Banks or Other Depositories. If you need to still set this up, please take the following steps. However, please be sure the bank has already been added to the system as an Organization record.
1. Navigate to Lists, then Financial Accounts.
2. Click on the financial account name. By default this would be Checking.
3. In the pop-up that appears, you’ll see a field for Bank’s Record. Enter the name of the bank, then click to select it.
4. Click Update to save the changes.