How Do I File My Wisconsin Report?

Applies To: Wisconsin
To file your WI report, you’ll first to need an Excel file of your data to upload to the state. In your ISP database, navigate to the Reports tab, then to Compliance. On the resulting screen, enter the range of dates of the report you want to file, then click Generate at the bottom of the screen.

If you receive any fatal errors, you must go back and edit your data. Submitting your report without doing so will cause your filing to fail.

Now that you have your Excel file, you will need to log in and upload this into the Wisconsin Campaign Finance Information System. After logging in, you should see a menu on the left side of the screen. If you don’t see it, hit the Menu button on the top right or the Expand bar on the left.

Next, select the Upload Transactions from Spreadsheets option under Step 1. This takes you to where you can upload your Excel file.

Upload your file and select the proper Filing Period and the Transaction Type, then click Upload. You will need to do this twice: once for Receipts and once for Expenses.

Once both Upload Statuses show they were processed without error, you can file your report using the Menu option under Step 2.

Before you continue filing, be aware that some of your transactions might need to filed directly on the state’s website. These include:
  • New commercial loans
  • Loan payments
  • Returned receipts
  • Payments of incurred obligations

How do I submit the report?

Once all your transactions have been uploaded, you can look through all of your Expenses and Contributions on the File Report page.

Using the filters, you can search for specific transactions to review or file separately. Otherwise, there are options to preview your Finance Report or to file it with the state.

After choosing to file your report with the state, enter the requested authorizations in the new fields and verify that the reported cash balances are correct. Once you’ve done so, click Submit to finish filing the report. 

How do I file an amendment?

To create an amendment, click the Amend a Filed Report option on the state website’s menu. You can use the search tools to check if something has already been filed and you can use the various buttons at the bottom to input a new transaction if it hasn’t.