When it comes to the data entry of these transactions, it’s important to be sure you’re adding them correctly, as they can and will have an effect on Compliance reports
What are the different types of conduit transactions?
- Conduit Checks: This is when a check or other transfer comes from conduit. It may include the donation from one or more donors and fees may be deducted. This is the most common method.
- Donor Checks: Where the donor has written a check directly to your committee but the physical check was passed through the conduit.
- Inkind: This very rare transaction takes place when a donor makes an inkind contribution to a conduit for the explicit purposes of assisting your campaign.
How do I enter these in the system?
These are entered as monetary contributions. As the check to your committee was from the conduit, the conduit should be the entity for the main transaction. It should be entered the same as other monetary contributions with the following notes:
- Date: For the FEC and most states, use the date the check or transfer was received. A few states require that the postmark date is used. Please check your state’s laws.
- Amount: The amount of the check or transfer. If fees were deducted, you should still enter the actual amount transferred.
- Tag: Select Conduit – Conduit Check
- Splits: Enter each individual donor as a split. For their amount, choose the original amount they designated. Do not subtract out fees. No tags are needed on these splits.
- Date: For the FEC and most states, this is the date the contribution was received as the conduit. Please check with your state to confirm regulations.
- Tag: Select Conduit – Donor Check
- Splits: Enter the conduit organization as a split. For donor checks, you must also add the Conduit – Donor Check tag to this split. Enter the date you received the transaction. For the amount, enter the total of all checks received in the batch from the Conduit.
- Date: The date the service/goods were received.
- Tag: Select Conduit – Inkind
- Splits: Enter the conduit. For the date use the date the conduit notified your committee of the inkind. Enter the same amount as for the main transaction.