Connecticut’s E-File system requires you to generate your report in ISP, download it, then upload the content via their system. The process has multiple steps, but isn’t difficult (especially if you are familiar with Connecticut’s E-Filing system).
1. After generating the report in ISP, click the Download button to have the report downloaded to your computer in the format needed.
2. The downloaded efile is format .xls. If you open the file with Excel, you will get a warning message at the top of the file:
This is ok. Connecticut has VERY specific Column Headers so the file is altered in a way to preserve this requirement. Excel’s safety feature can be overly cautious, but the file is perfectly ok and setup according to Connecticut requirements.
3. You can review your file with this warning as usual in Excel. However, if you want to manually modify any of your data outside of ISP (we do NOT recommend this unless instructed to do so), click on any empty cell, then click on the Formula Bar.
You may get a warning in a Microsoft Excel window that says the following:
“Protected View is preventing you from editing. If you trust the source of this file, click Enable Editing”
Click on Enable Editing, and you’ll be able to edit your data.
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT update any of the column headers – there are a few column Headers that have a leading spaces, as per the state’s format, and removing those spaces will not allow your file to be uploaded.
E-FILING YOUR REPORT:
1. Go to eCRIS homepage: https://seec.ct.gov/eCrisHome/
2. Click on “eCRIS Login”.
3. Enter state-issued login & password.
4. Under “My Committees” expand your Committee, and click on “Financial Reporting”.
5. Click on “Create A New Draft Report”. Select appropriate year, Standard/Non-Standard Report, Period Dates (if not automatically filed in for you).
6. Click on “Create Report”.
7. Under “Draft Reports”, click on “OPEN”.
8. At the bottom of the next page, click on “Upload Excel Report”.
9. Click on “Browse” and find the .xls report downloaded from ISP.
10. Click “Upload”.
11. After a few minutes, the state will either provide a new excel with errors to be corrected before filing, or a message that no errors were found. You cannot file a report until no errors are found.
NOTE: We recommend you correct the errors in the database and regenerate the report rather than updating the .xls file downloaded from the system. This will help ensure data integrity between systems.
12. Once you have a report with no errors, check the box next to the report and click on “Review Warnings & File to State >”.
13. After you review the warnings, click on “Review Totals Page >” at the bottom of the page.
14. After you review the Schedule Totals, click on “File to State >” at the bottom of the page. You can also click on “View Draft Report” to review all transactions.
15. Click on the checkbox next to your name to certify the report, then click “FIle to State”.
It seems like a lot of steps, but it’s pretty straight forward! If you have any questions or difficulties, please contact ISPolitical Support.