Statement of Organization
The FEC Form 1 is used to register new campaign committees once they exceed the applicable threshold. Be sure to check the guidelines for proper guidance on when to file this report, as it can vary depending on the committee.
The way information pulls to the Form 1 is determined both by the data entry used in the system and also the criteria chosen on the report generation screen.
At the top of the first page will be the committee name. If you are filing a Form 1 and the committee name has changed, there is a box to check just above the name of the committee. This can be done by checking the Change of Name option on the criteria screen.
- Address: This information pulls directly from the committee record in the database. If the address is different from the previous Form 1, select Change of Address on the criteria screen and the box to the left of the address on the report indicating the address was changed will be checked.
- Email: This will come from the Emails section in committee record. If the email address is different from the previous Form 1, select Change of Email on the criteria screen and the box to the left of the email address on the report indicating the email address was changed will be checked.
- Web Page: The website address will pull from the committee record. If the website URL is different from the previous Form 1, select Change of URL on the criteria screen and the box to the left of the web page URL on the report indicating the URL was changed will be checked.
- Date: This is the Effective Date and is added on the criteria screen.
- FEC ID: The FEC ID number will be from the Committee Info section in the committee record.
- New/Amended: If you are filing an amended Form 1, check the Amended option on the criteria screen and complete the new fields that appear. The Amended box on the report will be checked. Otherwise, leaving the Amended option on the criteria screen unchecked will check the New box on the report.
- Treasurer Name: The name of the Treasurer will come from the linked Treasurer in the Relationships section of the committee’s record. The signature automatically populates.
- Date: Automatically populates with the date the report was generated.
The committee type is first determined by the Filer Description dropdown on the criteria screen. Depending on which option you select, info will pull from specific committee staff records.
- Candidate Committee: Select Principal Campaign Committee or Authorized Committee from the Filer Description dropdown on the criteria screen. The appropriate box, (a) or (b), will be checked and the linked Candidate info will populate.
- Party Committee: Select National Party Committee, State Party Committee, or Subordinate Party Committee from the Filer Description dropdown. Box (d) will be checked and the two fields will be filled. The first field will be the option you chose while the second field is the Party chosen in the Committee Info section of the Committee’s organization record.
- Political Action Committee (PAC): To check box (e) select the appropriate Separate Segregated Fund option from the Filer Description dropdown, being sure to select the option that will also check the appropriate connected organization. To check box (f) select the appropriate Support/Oppose option in the Filer Description dropdown. For box (g), choose the appropriate Independent Expenditure option from the Filer Description dropdown. To check box (h) choose the appropriate Political Committee options in the Filer Description dropdown.
- Joint Fundraising Representative: To check box (i) or (j), choose the appropriate Joint Fundraising Representative option from the Filer Description dropdown.
Please note that per the FEC Form 1 guidelines, the term Connected Organization means any organization which is not a political committee but which directly or indirectly establishes, administers, or financially supports a political committee. A connected organization may be a corporation (including a corporation without capital stock), a labor organization, a membership organization, a cooperative, or a trade association. Therefore, a Connected Organization will be considered a Parent Company.
- Committee Connections: This can be any kind of Connected Organization (aka Parent Company), Affiliated Committee, Joint Fundraising Representative, or Leadership PAC Sponsor. If any organization record has one of these links in their Relationships section, it will pull to this section of the Form 1 with the correct Relationship box automatically checked.
- Custodian of Records: This will pull the entity linked in the committee record’s Relationships section as the Record Keeper. The Address and Phone Number info is directly from the entity’s record in the system.
- Treasurer Info: This will pull the entity linked in the committee record’s Relationships section as the Treasurer. The Address and Phone Number info is directly from the entity’s record in the system.
- Designated Agent: If an entity is linked in the Relationships section as a Principal Officer, for example, they will pull as a Designated Agent.
- Bank or Other Depositories: Any bank or depository linked to your Filer committee via the Financial Accounts page under Lists will pull to the Bank or Other Depositories section on the Form 1.
- If needed, you may see a Supplemental Page 5 generate. This will show any information that did not fit on Lines 5(g), 6, 8, and 9 on previous pages of the report.
- The Original Statement of Organization must be filed either via paper or online. If you have already filed a paper version of the Form 1 but this is the first time submitting a Form 1 electronically, file the report as an Original, not an Amendment. The FEC system will know it is the first time filing the report electronically.