Connecticut’s E-File system requires you to generate your report in ISP, download it, then upload the content via their system. The process has multiple steps but isn’t difficult.
- After generating the report in ISP, click the Download button to have the report downloaded to your computer in the format needed.
- The downloaded efile is format .xls. If you open the file with Excel, you will get a warning message at the top of the file. This is ok. Connecticut has VERY specific Column Headers so the file is altered in a way to preserve this requirement. Excel’s safety feature can be overly cautious, but the file is perfectly ok and setup according to Connecticut requirements.
- You can review your file with this warning as usual in Excel. However, if you want to manually modify any of your data outside of ISP (we do NOT recommend this unless instructed to do so), click on any empty cell, then click on the Formula Bar.
You may get a warning in a Microsoft Excel window that says the following:
“Protected View is preventing you from editing. If you trust the source of this file, click Enable Editing”
Click Enable Editing and you’ll be able to edit your data.
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT update any of the column headers. There are a few column Headers that have a leading spaces, as per the state’s format, and removing those spaces will not allow your file to be uploaded.
How do I efile my CT report?
- Go to eCRIS homepage: https://seec.ct.gov/eCrisHome/
- Click eCRIS Login.
- Enter state-issued login & password.
- Under My Committees expand your Committee and click Financial Reporting.
- Click Create A New Draft Report. Select appropriate year, Standard/Non-Standard Report, and Period Dates (if not automatically filed in for you).
- Click Create Report.
- Under Draft Reports, select OPEN.
- At the bottom of the next page, click Upload Excel Report.
- Click Browse and find the .xls report downloaded from ISP.
- Select Upload.
After a few minutes, the state will either provide a new excel with errors to be corrected before filing, or a message that no errors were found. You cannot file a report until no errors are found.
We recommend you correct the errors in the database and regenerate the report rather than updating the .xls file downloaded from the system. This will help ensure data integrity between systems.
Once you have a report with no errors, check the box next to the report and click Review Warnings & File to State >.
After you review the warnings, click Review Totals Page > at the bottom of the page to review the Schedule Totals.
When ready, click File to State > at the bottom of the page. You can also select View Draft Report to review all transactions. Click on the checkbox next to your name to certify the report, then select FIle to State.