One of the first steps to getting your account ready for compliance reporting, is to add the record details for the Treasurer, Candidate (if applicable), and Committee. These records will include ID numbers and other important information necessary to pull to your compliance reports.
Setting up the Candidate Record
1. Click on ADD/SEARCH in the top nav bar and select INDIVIDUALS.
2. Enter the name of the candidate you are going to set up and click on SEARCH.
If you had ISPolitical import data for you, then you may already have the candidates record in your database! If so, you will not see the “No Results Found.” message in the screenshot above. You can bypass the creation of the candidate or treasurer record and click on the name in the search results instead. If this is the case, skip to step 6 below.
3. Click on "+ Add Individual" in the lower nav bar.
Note: The "+ Add Individual" button will not appear until after you run a search. We require a search first, before adding a new individual, to help preserve data integrity and reduce the risk of duplicates in your account. It’s always good practice to search for a record before adding it!
4. Fill out the information for your candidate (name, address, etc…).
5. Click on the button ADD INDIVIDUAL when you have finished entering details.
The page containing your record information will load. Review the information and if you need to, make any changes here. You can edit/add to any field by clicking the green triangle in the upper right corner of each field.
Now let's add your candidate's details!
6. Click on the green triangle next to CANDIDATE INFO on the lower right side of the page (you may need to scroll down to see the field).
7. Enter the Candidate's ID number.
8. Enter the Jurisdiction the candidate is running in. For example, if they are running for state Senate, select “State”.
9. Fill out the remaining information as needed.
10. Click on ADD CANDIDATE INFO to save.
Setting up the Treasurer Record
To set up the treasurer record, repeat steps 1-5.
Setting up the Committee Record
1. Click on ADD/SEARCH in the top nav bar and select ORGANIZATIONS.
2. Enter the name of the committee you are going to set up and click on SEARCH.
NOTE: If you had ISPolitical import data for you, then you may already have the committee record in your database. If so, you will not see the “No Results Found.” message. You can bypass the creation of the committee record and click on the organizations name to navigate to the record details.
4. Click on "+ Add Organization" in the lower navigation bar.
Note: The "+ Add Organization" button will not appear until after you run a search. We require a search first, before adding a new organization, to help preserve data integrity and reduce the risk of duplicates in your account. It’s always good practice to search for a record before adding it!
5. Fill out the information for your committee (name, address, etc…).
6. Select the Organization Type: Political Committee from the drop down box.
You will notice a new set of fields appears on the right side of the Add Organization window. These fields identify your committee and allow the ISPolitical system to pull information to compliance reports. You can fill this out now, or enter it on the record details page.
7. Make sure you select a Committee Type appropriate for your committee and enter the committee ID Number too.
8. Fill out any additional information you want to include.
9. Click on the button ADD ORGANIZATION.
NOTE: Your Committee Type can often determine the available Compliance reports on the reporting page. Please be sure you have the correct Committee Type selected. If when attempting to generate a report and you don't see it in the list, most like the Committee Type needs to be corrected.
The page will load your record information. Review the information, and if you need to, make any changes here. You can edit/add to any field by clicking the green triangle in the upper right corner of each field.
If you did not enter any Committee details yet, click the green triangle for the field COMMITTEE INFO to do that now.
The last task to complete on your committee record is to set up the relationships with other records. Most notably, the candidate (if applicable) and treasurer. Setting up these relationships pulls the required information related to the filing committee to the compliance report.
10. Click the green triangle to the right of the Relationship field.
11. In the Affiliated field, start typing the name of the treasurer. This runs a search on your database for a matching record.
12. Click on the name of the committee’s treasurer.
13. Select the treasurer relationship type from the Relationship Type dropdown menu.
14. Click on ADD RELATIONSHIP to save the relationship, or click on ADD & NEW to save and add another relationship.
15. Repeat the steps above for the candidate, using the candidate relationship type.
If you'd like to learn how to import committee records directly from the FEC site, click here.