The Advanced Search tool is designed to be an easy to use query system. It will allow you to create and run detailed and specific searches on everything from who created a record within a given date range to every one of your donors within a county, based on your data.
Please note that results you receive via Advanced Search will be record based and not transaction based. This means when using this search method, you are searching for entities and getting entity results. If you are looking for specific transaction searches, the Financial Reports tool will handle those needs.
The Advanced Search tool can be found under ADD/SEARCH > ADVANCED SEARCH.
If you’re looking for a quicker way to narrow your search while still receiving detailed results, you can use two different modes, Contribution Filters or Other Favorites.
- Using Contribution Filters allows you to search entities based solely on contribution information.
- The Other Favorites mode lets you search on City, Zip Code, or Flags in order to keep your entity search narrow.
The third mode, Power Mode, is the standard Advanced Search screen.
Below is an overview of the items in this section. You can also visit our Advanced Search Recipes page for some examples of useful searches.
To create a simple search you need only one thing: To create a rule. This can be further refined by adding exclusions, compound rules, and other features.
- In the ADD RULE section, select an AREA (for example, Contributions or Addresses).
- In the FIELD drop down, select an option related to the AREA you selected to further refine your rule (For example, Date or Amount).
- Select a relationship in the RELATIONSHIP drop down. This defines the extent of what you are looking for. For example, if you were looking for contributions, this field will contain value relationships such as “Is” or “Is More Than”.
- Enter a Value. This will be a drop down menu of options for some fields or a empty box where you can enter a number or text (for example, if you were looking for all records in a specific city, you may put San Diego here). QUICK TIP: If you are searching for multiple items (such as several counties or a few specific entities), you can use a ” , ” between each entry instead of needing to create multiple rules!
- Click on Add Rule to add it to the SEARCH CRITERIA section. You can continue to add more rules (or Exclusions) to narrow down your focus.
- Once you have added a rule to the SEARCH CRITERIA, you can click on Run Search to see your results. If this is a search you know you will be running often, click on “Save & Run Search” to enter a name for your search and save it. Then, whenever you come back to this page, you will have the option of loading that saved search criteria (Note: The results are not saved, just the criteria. That means if changes to your data would affect the results, the new search will include these changes).
Once you get your results, you have several options at the bottom of the screen:
- CALL SHEET: This will generate a PDF Call Sheet of the results.
- VIEW RECORDS: This opens up the records information page, starting with the first result. You will have an option at the bottom left and right to flip through the records displayed. This is useful for making changes to multiple records as you go and for adding notes as you call or email people.
- SET COMMUNICATIONS: This allows you to apply a communication to the records found in your results.
- SET FLAGS: This allows you to select a flag to apply to all the records in your results. You also have the very cool option of allowing the AI on your account to automatically apply that flag to any new records that match the same criteria! Learn more about this time saver here!
- EXCEL: BASIC CONTACT INFORMATION: Provides a spreadsheet with just contact information.
- EXCEL: DONOR SUMMARY: Provides donor specific information.
- EXCEL: DETAILED FUNDRAISING EXPORT: Provides the majority of the donor information and additional fundraising details. This is the most used export type.
- EXCEL: DETAILED FUNDRAISING EXPORT BY HOUSEHOLD: This is the same as above, but it will group records linked with the spouse relationship together.
- COPY TO ANOTHER ACCOUNT: This will send the selected entities, including their addresses, phones, and emails, to another account you have access to.
For more info on how to use AI to apply flags to records, click here.
Here is a list of Advanced Search Recipes you can use to generate some of the more common searches:
- Donors Over the Limit
- State and Local Districts
- General Election Non-Donors
- Adding Flags En Masse & Excluding Flags from Searches
- All Non-Donors
- Transactions by Creation Date
To learn the differences between the “Actor” and “User” fields when running a search, click here.