If you filing agency allows your campaign to have a petty cash fund for small campaign expenses, here’s how we recommend we handle that.
If you are unsure if this allowed, please contact your state analyst or legal representative.
First, we recommend you create a separate financial account marked as a “Petty Cash”.
Some agencies do not require you report petty cash withdrawals; they only require petty cash disbursements.
TO RECORD A PETTY CASH WITHDRAWAL
- Under Accounting > Add Transaction, select “Internal Transfer”
- Select your “Petty Cash” account as the “To Account”
Select the appropriate account as the “From Account” (the account which you actually withdrew the cash from.
This will NOT impact your total Cash on Hand amount, and will not be reported on most Campaign Finance Reports.
TO RECORD A PETTY CASH DISBURSEMENT
- Under Accounting > Add Transaction, select “Expense”
- Under “Entity” use the individual vendors the petty cash was spent at
- Use “Petty Cash” as the account, if appropriate, to help keep track of available funds
This WILL impact your total Cash on Hand, and depending on the amount and/or agency rules, could possibly itemize.