The Form 1 (Statement of Organization) is typically used to register a new campaign committee with the FEC once it exceeds the applicable contribution threshold.
The applicable threshold varies based on filer type:
- Principal campaign committees must file this form no later than 10 days after the candidate files the FEC Form 2.
- Committees sponsored by corporations, labor organizations or trade associations (i.e., separate segregated funds) must file this form no later than 10 days after their establishment.
- Local political party committees must file this form no later than 10 days after exceeding receiving contributions / making expenses aggregating in excess of $5,000 during a calendar year -OR- making contributions in connection with a federal election in excess of $1,000.
- All other political committees must file this form no later than 10 days after receiving contributions or making contributions in connection with a federal election aggregating in excess of $1,000 during a calendar year.
How to generate a Form 1 report:
1) Navigate to “Compliance” > “Reports” to pull up our report generation screen:
2) Select the Filer you need to file this report with and then choose “FEC Form 1” underneath of the “Compliance Report” field on the drop-down menu:
3) If needed, you can specify if this report is an amendment, a change of address, change of email, change of name, or change of URL with the check boxes in the next section:
4) Fill in the date these changes are going into effect next, along with selecting a Filer Description from the drop-down list:
5) Add a note if needed and click the green “Generate” button at the bottom of the page to generate your FEC Form 1:
The report will contain important pieces of information regarding the committee, such as Candidate, Treasurer, and Bank or Depository names, for example.
Another section, Section 6, on the Form 1 lists any connected organization, affiliated committee, joint fundraising representative, or leadership PAC sponsor.
In order to get the various checkboxes checked, you’ll want to be sure the following data entry is used in the Relationship section of the committee’s record in the database:
– “Connected Organization” = relationship: “Parent Company”**
– “Affiliated Committee” = relationship: “Affiliate” OR “Authorized Committee” OR “Authorized Committee Of”
– “Joint Fundraising Representative” = relationship: “Joint Fundraising Representative”
– “Leadership PAC Sponsor” = relationship: “Leadership PAC Sponsor”
**Please note that per the FEC Form 1 guidelines, the term “connected organization” means any organization which is not a political committee but which directly or indirectly establishes, administers or financially supports a political committee. A connected organization may be a corporation (including a corporation without capital stock), a labor organization, a membership organization, a cooperative or a trade association. Therefore, a Connected Organization will be considered a Parent Company.
Section 9 requires you to list the Banks or Other Depositories. To do that in ISP: